They are long sleeved but can be buttoned up, if you're wearing a jacket or just like the look better.
It is my own pattern, but you are welcome to try it out - please refer to my blog, if you use it!
Fingerless Mittens Pattern
It is the same pattern for both mittens except step 8, which defines where the thumb is going to be relative to the button hole.
The rib:1. Make a single crochet base chain with 30 single crochet (SC).
2. Crochet 32 rows of SC in the back loop only (this will make it elastic and makes the ribbing effect). with 2 slip stitches (SS) to stand for the first SC in each row.
3. Fold the first and the last row together.
4. 3 SC through both rows, 5 SC in last row only (skip 5 SC in first row), 22 SC through both rows (The skipped SC's makes the button hole. If you don't want it, just SC all the way).
The palm:5. Make a slip stitch (SS).
6. SC around the wrist - 1 SC per row = 34 SC.
7. Do 2 more rows of SC in circles - be sure to mark the first SC in each row, so you can count them. (In my mitts the rib does not stop at the wrist but makes up part of the hand. If you don't like this - make more rows here until you reach the base of the thumb).
The fingers:8. 16 SC, 4 SS, skip 8 SC, 10 SC (for the right hand mitten - 10 SC, 4 SS, skip 8 SC, 16 SC for the left mitten).
9. 7 rows of 30 SC in circles.
10. Fasten off (Be sure to use the invisible fasten off, if you don't want the border).
Thumb:11. Tread the needle again and do 16 SC around the hole, we left for the thumb earlier (one in each SS (4), One in each SC (8) and 2 in each corner between the SS and SC).
12. 4 more rows of SC in circles.
13. Fasten off.
Finish:14. Make a border with yarn in a matching colour *SC DC SC in first SC, skip one SC* - Continue like that around the edge.
15. Sew on buttons. (I did crochet mine, but I am not very proud of those, so look for a button tutorial somewhere else please).